Gregory Farnum <greg@...> writes:

> Yeah, I think there were some directory listing bugs in that version
> that Samba is probably running into. They're fixed in a newer kernel
> release (I'm not sure which one exactly, sorry).

Ok, thanks, good to know!

> > and then detaches itself but the mountpoint stays empty no matter what.
> > /var/log/ceph/ceph-client.admin.log isn't enlighting as well. I've never
> > used a FUSE before, though, so I might be overlooking something.
>
> Uh, that's odd. What do you mean it's empty no matter what? Is the
> ceph-fuse process actually still running?

Yes, e.g.

 8525 pts/0    Sl     0:00 ceph-fuse -m 10.208.66.1:6789 /mnt/regtest2

But

root@gru:/mnt# ls /mnt/regtest2 | wc -l
0

With the kernel module I mount just a subpath of the cephfs space like in

/etc/fstab:
my_monhost:/regression-test /mnt/regtest ...

which ceph-fuse doesn't seem to support, but then I would expect
regression-test to simply be a sub-directory of /mnt/regtest2.

> (You should also be able to talk to Ceph directly via the Samba
> daemon; the bindings are in upstream Samba although you probably need
> to install one of the Ceph packages to make it work. That's the way we
> test in our "nightlies".)

Indeed, it seems like something is missing:

[2015/07/27 19:21:40.080572,  0] ../lib/util/modules.c:48(load_module)
  Error loading module '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/vfs/ceph.so':
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/vfs/ceph.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory

Unfortunately, finding out what to install will have to wait till Thursday.
Thanks for your help so far!

Joerg Henne