Gregory Farnum <greg@...> writes:

> You can mount subtrees with the -r option to ceph-fuse.

Yay! That did the trick to properly mount via fuse. And I can confirm that
the directory list results are now stable both locally and via samba.

> Once you've started it up you should find a file like
> "client.admin.[0-9]*.asok" in (I think?) /var/run/ceph. You can run
> "ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/{client_asok} status" and provide
> the output to see if it's doing anything useful. Or set "debug client
> = 20" in the config and then upload the client log file either
> publicly or with ceph-post-file and I'll take a quick look to see
> what's going on.

root@gru:/mnt# ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-client.admin.asok status
{
    "metadata": {
        "ceph_sha1": "5fb85614ca8f354284c713a2f9c610860720bbf3",
        "ceph_version": "ceph version 0.94.2
(5fb85614ca8f354284c713a2f9c610860720bbf3)",
        "entity_id": "admin",
        "hostname": "gru",
        "mount_point": "\/mnt\/test"
    },
    "dentry_count": 0,
    "dentry_pinned_count": 0,
    "inode_count": 1,
    "mds_epoch": 1075,
    "osd_epoch": 2391,
    "osd_epoch_barrier": 0
}

It seems like if cephfs was only ever mounted with a non-root basepath, the
cephfs root does not contain a directory entry for that base path. At least
that's what I guess from "dentry_count": 0.

> Mmm, that looks like a Samba config issue which unfortunately I don't
> know much about. Perhaps you need to install these modules
> individually? It looks like our nightly tests are just getting the
> Ceph VFS installed by default. :/

Ubuntu's samba package isn't configured with --with-libcephfs and therefore
simply doesn't ship ceph.so. I am currently trying to recompile it with that
flag. If that doesn't work, that's no biggie, because the re-export of the
ceph-fuse mounted directory behaves flawlessly now.

Thanks a ton for your help!

Joerg Henne