For those interested:

Bug that caused ceph to go haywire was a emulex nic driver dropping
packets when making more than few hundred megabits (basically linear
change compared to load) which caused osds to flap constantly once
something gone wrong (high traffic, osd go down, ceph starts to
reallocationg stuff, which causes more traffic, more osds flap, etc)

upgrading kernel to 4.1.6 (was present at least in 4.0.1, and in c6
"distro" kernel) fixed that and it started to rebuild correctly

Lessons learned, buy Intel NICs...