Thanks Greg :)

For the OSDs, I understand, on the other hand for intermediate abstractions like hosts, racks and rooms, do you agree that it should currently be possible to change the IDs (always under the "one change at a time, I promise mom" rule)?

Clearly, a good amount of shuffling should be expected as a consequence.
Basically I was inquiring whether changing the id of a single host would shuffle the entirety (or a relatively big chunk) of the cluster data, or if the shuffling was limited to a direct proportion of the item's weight.

I just --test-ed with crushtool. I changed an host's id, and testing the two maps with :

crushtool -i crush.map --test --show-statistics --rule 0 --num-rep 3 --min-x 1 --max-x $N --show-mappings

(with $N varying from as little as 32 to "big numbers"TM) shows that nearly the 50% of the mappings changed, in a 10 hosts cluster.

Thanks All :)