I did some observation today - with the reduced filestore_op_threads it seems
to ride out the storm better, not ideal but better.

The main issue is that for the 10 minutes from the moment the rbd snap rm
command is issued, the SATA systems in my configuration load up massively on
disk IO and I think this is what is rolling on to all other issues (OSDs
unresponsive, queue backlogs). The disks all go 100% busy - the average SATA
write latency goes from 14ms to 250ms.  I was observing disks doing 400, 700
and higher service times.  After those few minutes it tapers down and goes back
to normal.

There are all ST6000VN0001 disks - anyone aware of anything that might explain
this sort of behaviour?  It seems odd that even if the disks were hit with high
write traffic (average of 50 write IOPS going up to 270-300 during this
activity) that the service times would blow out that much.

Cheers,
 Adrian