From: Gregory Farnum [mailto:gfar...@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:11 AM
To: Davie De Smet <davie.des...@nomadesk.com>
Cc: Mykola Dvornik <mykola.dvor...@gmail.com>; John Spray <jsp...@redhat.com>;
ceph-users <ceph-us...@ceph.com>
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] CephFS: No space left on device

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:20 AM, Davie De Smet <davie.des...@nomadesk.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We do use hardlinks a lot. The application using the cluster has a build in
> 'trashcan' functionality based on hardlinks. Obviously, all removed files and
> hardlinks are not visible anymore on the CephFS mount itself. Can I manually
> remove the strays on the OSD's themselves?

No, definitely not. At least part of the problem is:
*) Ceph stores file metadata organized by its *path* location, not in a
separate on-disk inode data structure like local FSes do.
*) When you hard link a file in CephFS, its "primary" location increments the
link counter and its "remote" location just records the inode number (and it
has to look up metadata later on-demand).
*) When you unlink the primary link, the inode data gets moved into the stray
directory until one of the remote links comes calling.

>Or do you mean that I'm required to do a small touch/write on all files that
>have not yet been deleted (this would be painfull as the cluster is 200TB+)?

Luckily, it doesn't take quite that much work. It looks like just doing a
getattr on all the remote links in your system should do it.
If it's just your trash can, "ls -l" on that directory will probably pull them
in. Or you could delete the whole trashcan folder (set of
folders?) and they'll go away as well.
-Greg