If you are running 10.2.3 on your cluster, then I would strongly recommend to
NOT delete files in parallel as you might hit
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/17177

-Mykola

From: Heller, Chris
Sent: Saturday, 15 October 2016 03:36
To: Gregory Farnum
Cc: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] cephfs slow delete

Just a thought, but since a directory tree is a first class item in cephfs,
could the wire protocol be extended with an “recursive delete” operation,
specifically for cases like this?

On 10/14/16, 4:16 PM, "Gregory Farnum" <gfar...@redhat.com> wrote:

    On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Heller, Chris <chel...@akamai.com> wrote:
    > Ok. Since I’m running through the Hadoop/ceph api, there is no syscall
boundary so there is a simple place to improve the throughput here. Good to
know, I’ll work on a patch…

    Ah yeah, if you're in whatever they call the recursive tree delete
    function you can unroll that loop a whole bunch. I forget where the
    boundary is so you may need to go play with the JNI code; not sure.
    -Greg