If it is just a couple kernel changes you should post them, so SUSE can
merge them in target_core_rbd and we can port them to upstream. You will
not have to carry them and SUSE and I will not have to re-debug the
problems :)

For the (non target_mode approach), everything that is needed for basic
IO, failover and failback (we only support active/passive right now and
no distributed PRs like SUSE) support is merged upstream:

- Linus's tree
(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git) for
4.9 has the kernel changes.
- The Ceph tree (https://github.com/ceph/ceph) has some rbd command line
tool changes that are needed.
- The multipath tools tree (https://github.com/ceph/ceph) has changes
needed for how we are doing active/passive with the rbd exclusive lock.

So you can build patches against those trees.

For SUSE's approach, I think everything is in SUSE's git trees which you
probably are familiar with already.

Also, if you are going to build off of upstream/distros and/or also
support other distros as a base, Kraken will have these features, and so
will RHEL 7.3 and RHCS 2.1.

And for setup/management Paul Cuzner (https://github.com/pcuzner)
implemented ansible playbooks to set everything up:

Maybe you can use that too, but since you are SUSE based I am guessing
you are using lrbd.