Hi,

On 01/11/2017 11:02 AM, Boris Mattijssen wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to use/path restriction/ on CephFS, running a Ceph Jewel (ceph version 10.2.5) cluster. For this I'm using the command specified in the official docs (http://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/cephfs/client-auth/): ceph auth get-or-create client.boris mon 'allow r' mds 'allow r, allow rw path=/boris' osd 'allow rw pool=cephfs_data'

When I mount the fs with/boris/user and the generated secret I can still see all files in the fs (not just the files in /boris). l am restricted to write to anything but /boris, so the problem is that I can still read anything outside of /boris.

Can someone please clarify what's going on?

As far as I understand the mds caps, mds 'allow r' allows read-only access to all files; 'allow rw path=/boris' restricts write access to the given path. So your observations reflect the given permissions.

You can configure ceph-fuse and kcephfs to use a given directory as 'root' directory of the mount point (e.g. ceph-fuse -r /boris). But I'm not sure whether

- you need access to the root directory to mount with -r option
- you can restrict the read-only access to the root directory without sub directories (e.g. 'allow r path=/, allow rw path=/boris' to allow mounting a sub directory only)

Unfortunately the -r option is a client side option, so you have to trust your clients.

Regards,
Burkhard