Readding list:

So with email, you're talking about lots of small reads and writes. In my
experience with dicom data (thousands of 20KB files per directory), cephfs
doesn't perform very well at all on platter drivers. I haven't experimented
with pure ssd configurations, so I can't comment on that.

Somebody may correct me here, but small block io on writes just makes
latency all that much more important due to the need to wait for your
replicas to be written before moving on to the next block.

Without know exact hardware details, my brain is immediately jumping to
networking constraints. 2 or 3 spindle drives can pretty much saturate a
1gbps link. As soon as you create contention for that resource, you create
system load for iowait and latency.

You mentioned you don't control the network. Maybe you can scale down and
out.

On May 9, 2017 5:38 PM, "Webert de Souza Lima" <webert.b...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Brett Niver <bni...@redhat.com> wrote:

> What is your workload like?  Do you have a single or multiple active
> MDS ranks configured?

User traffic is heavy. I can't really say in terms of mb/s or iops but it's
an email server with 25k+ users, usually about 6k simultaneously connected
receiving and reading emails.
I have only one active MDS configured. The others are Stand-by.