We had similar problem few month ago when migrating from hammer to
jewel. We encountered some old bugs (which were declared closed on
Hammer !!!l). We had some OSDs refusing to start because of lack of pg
map like yours, some others which were completly busy and start
declaring valid OSDs losts => the cluster was flapping. These OSDs
were localized on some hosts only, and these hosts were first in giant
then in hammer version before jewel.Hosts which never knew giant were
OK. So in fact, we ported some old bugs from giant to jewel !!! The
solution was to isolate one by one the hosts which were one day in
Giant and to recreate them with a fresh jewel version. That solved the
problem (but it took a lot of time). I hope this will help you ...