Would reads and writes to the SSD on another server be faster than reads
and writes to HDD on the local server? If the answer is no, then even if
this was possible it would be worse than just putting your WAL and DB on
the same HDD locally.  I don't think this is a use case the devs planned
for.

You can definitely put multiple WAL land DB partitions on a single SSD.