Le 16/08/2017 à 16:19, David Turner a écrit :

Would reads and writes to the SSD on another server be faster than reads and writes to HDD on the local server? If the answer is no, then even if this was possible it would be worse than just putting your WAL and DB on the same HDD locally. I don't think this is a use case the devs planned for.

You can definitely put multiple WAL land DB partitions on a single SSD.

Thanks David for your reply.
Indeed, I have no idea if I/O operations on a distant SSD are faster than on a local HDD ?..I thought naively that in the case of a 10Gbs network, the speed of the bandwidth was always higher than that of the disk, whatever its technology, but it's true that many other factors come into play (in any case, it's an interesting problem, if I have time, I will try to do some benchmarks...)

In relation to your answer, I have another question please, in the case of an OSDs server composed only with HDD disks, what is the best practice : just configure each OSD as a single BlueStore storage device or add on each disk both WAL and DB devices (e.g. ceph-disk prepare --bluestore /dev/sdd --block.wal /dev/sdd --block.db /dev/sdd) ?

I ask this because the online documentation on "BlueStore Config Reference" states that adding these devices are useful only if the device used is faster than the primary device ?

Thanks again,
Hervé