Well, as stated in the other email I think in the EC scenario you can
set size=k+m for the pgcalc tool. If you want 10+2 then in theory you
should be able to get away with 6 nodes to survive a single node
failure if you can guarantee that every node will always receive 2 out
of the 12 chunks - looks like this might be achievable:
http://ceph.com/planet/erasure-code-on-small-clusters/