On 17-11-28 09:12 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

Op 27 november 2017 om 14:36 schreef Alfredo Deza <ad...@redhat.com>:

For the upcoming Luminous release (12.2.2), ceph-disk will be
officially in 'deprecated' mode (bug fixes only). A large banner with
deprecation information has been added, which will try to raise
awareness.

As much as I like ceph-volume and the work being done, is it really a good idea
to use a minor release to deprecate a tool?

Can't we just introduce ceph-volume and deprecate ceph-disk at the release of
M? Because when you upgrade to 12.2.2 suddenly existing integrations will have
deprecation warnings being thrown at them while they haven't upgraded to a new
major version.

As ceph-deploy doesn't support ceph-disk either I don't think it's a good idea
to deprecate it right now.

How do others feel about this?

Same, although we don't have a *big* problem with this (we haven't upgraded to Luminous yet, so we can skip to next point release and move to ceph-volume together with Luminous). It's still a problem, though - now we have more of our infrastructure to migrate and test, meaning even more delays in production upgrades.

--
Piotr Dałek
piotr.da...@corp.ovh.com