On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:12 AM, Wido den Hollander <w...@42on.com> wrote:

>> Op 27 november 2017 om 14:36 schreef Alfredo Deza <ad...@redhat.com>:
>>

>> For the upcoming Luminous release (12.2.2), ceph-disk will be
>> officially in 'deprecated' mode (bug fixes only). A large banner with
>> deprecation information has been added, which will try to raise
>> awareness.
>>

> As much as I like ceph-volume and the work being done, is it really a good
> idea to use a minor release to deprecate a tool?
>
> Can't we just introduce ceph-volume and deprecate ceph-disk at the release of
> M? Because when you upgrade to 12.2.2 suddenly existing integrations will
> have deprecation warnings being thrown at them while they haven't upgraded to
> a new major version.

ceph-volume has been present since the very first release of Luminous,
the deprecation warning in ceph-disk is the only "new" thing
introduced for 12.2.2.

> As ceph-deploy doesn't support ceph-disk either I don't think it's a good
> idea to deprecate it right now.

ceph-deploy work is being done to support ceph-volume exclusively
(ceph-disk support is dropped fully), which will mean a change in its
API in a non-backwards compatible
way. A major version change in ceph-deploy, documentation, and a bunch
of documentation is being worked on to allow users to transition to
it.