Ah! Right, I guess my actual question was:

How does osd crush chooseleaf type = 0 and 1 alter the crushmap?

By experimentation I've figured out that:

"osd crush chooseleaf type = 0" turns into "step choose firstn 0 type osd" and

"osd crush chooseleaf type = 1" turns into "step chooseleaf firstn 0 type host".

Changing the crushmap in this way worked perfectly for me, ceph -s complained while doing the rebalancing, but eventually became happy with the result.