Hi and welcome,

On 09.02.2018 15:46, ST Wong (ITSC) wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to CEPH and got a task to setup CEPH with kind of DR
> feature.  We've 2 10Gb connected data centers in the same campus.    I
> wonder if it's possible to setup a CEPH cluster with following
> components in each data center:
>

> 3 x mon + mds + mgr
>
> 3 x OSD (replicated factor=2, between data center)
>

> So that any one of following failure won't affect the cluster's
> operation and data availability:
>
>   * any one component in either data center
>   * failure of either one of the data center
>

> Is it possible?

In general this is possible, but I would consider that replica=2 is not
a good idea. In case of a failure scenario or just maintenance and one
DC is powered off and just one single disk fails on the other DC, this
can already lead to data loss. My advice here would be, if anyhow
possible, please don't do replica=2.

> In case one data center failure case, seems replication can't occur
> any more.   Any CRUSH rule can achieve this purpose?
>

> Sorry for the newbie question.
>

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards
>
> /st wong