On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Dan van der Ster <d...@vanderster.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is the purpose of
>
>    ceph mds set max_mds <int>
>
> ?
>
> We just used that by mistake on a cephfs cluster when attempting to
> decrease from 2 to 1 active mds's.
>
> The correct command to do this is of course
>
>   ceph fs set <fsname> max_mds <int>
>
> So, is `ceph mds set max_mds` useful for something? If not, should it
> be removed from the CLI?

It's the legacy version of the command from before we had multiple
filesystems.  Those commands are marked as obsolete internally so that
they're not included in the --help output, but they're still handled
(applied to the "default" filesystem) if called.

The multi-fs stuff went in for Jewel, so maybe we should think about
removing the old commands in Mimic: any thoughts Patrick?

John