On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Dan van der Ster <d...@vanderster.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:29 PM, John Spray <jsp...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Dan van der Ster <d...@vanderster.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> What is the purpose of
>>>
>>>    ceph mds set max_mds <int>
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> We just used that by mistake on a cephfs cluster when attempting to
>>> decrease from 2 to 1 active mds's.
>>>
>>> The correct command to do this is of course
>>>
>>>   ceph fs set <fsname> max_mds <int>
>>>
>>> So, is `ceph mds set max_mds` useful for something? If not, should it
>>> be removed from the CLI?
>>
>> It's the legacy version of the command from before we had multiple
>> filesystems.  Those commands are marked as obsolete internally so that
>> they're not included in the --help output,
>
> Ahhh! It is indeed omitted from --help but I hadn't noticed because it
> is still rather helpful if you go ahead and run the command:
>
> # ceph mds set
> Invalid command:  missing required parameter
> var(max_mds|max_file_size|allow_new_snaps|inline_data|allow_multimds|allow_dirfrags)
> mds set
> max_mds|max_file_size|allow_new_snaps|inline_data|allow_multimds|allow_dirfrags
> Error EINVAL: invalid command
>
> I suppose we just need a new generation of operators that would never
> even try these old deprecated commands ;)
>
>> but they're still handled
>> (applied to the "default" filesystem) if called.
>
> Hmm... does it apply if we never set the default fs (though only have one) ?
> (How do we even see/get the default fs?)

It'll automatically be set to the first filesystem created.

Now that I go look for the setting, I remember it's actually got the
slightly esoteric internal name of "legacy_client_fscid" (because it's
the filesystem ID that will get mounted by a legacy client that
doesn't know which filesystem it wants).  You set it with "ceph fs
set-default", but it looks like it got left out of FSMap::dump, so
there's no easy way to peek at it.

Created https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/20780

John