Hello,

my crappy test cluster was rendered inoperational by an IP renumbering
that wasn't planned and forced on me during a DC move, so I decided to
start from scratch and explore the fascinating world of Luminous/bluestore
and all the assorted bugs. ^_-
(yes I could have recovered the cluster by setting up a local VLAN with
the old IPs, extract the monmap, etc, but I consider the need for a
running monitor a flaw, since all the relevant data was present in the
leveldb).

Anyways, while I've read about bluestore OSD cache in passing here, the
back of my brain was clearly still hoping that it would use pagecache/SLAB
like other filesystems.
Which after my first round of playing with things clearly isn't the case.

This strikes me as a design flaw and regression because:
1. Completely new users may think that bluestore defaults are fine and
waste all that RAM in their machines.
2. Having a per OSD cache is inefficient compared to a common cache like
pagecache, since an OSD that is busier than others would benefit from a
shared cache more.
3. A uniform OSD cache size of course will be a nightmare when having
non-uniform HW, either with RAM or number of OSDs.

Christian
ch...@gol.com           Rakuten Communications