At 'rest' is talking about data on it's own, not being accessed through an
application.  Encryption at rest is most commonly done by encrypting the
block device with something like dmcrypt.  It's anything that makes having
the physical disk useless without being able to decrypt it.  You can also
just encrypt a folder with sensitive information which would also be
encryption at rest.  Encryption not at rest would be like putting a secure
layer between the data and the users that access it, like HTTPS/SSL.