On 19 May 2018 at 09:20, Scottix <scot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be nice to have an option to have all IO blocked if it hits a
> degraded state until it recovers. Since you are unaware of other MDS state,
> seems like that would be tough to do.

I agree this would be a nice knob to have from the perspective of
having consistent (and easy to diagnose) client behaviour when such a
situation occurs. However I don't think this is possible, if a client
is working in a directory served via rank-0 MDS (whilst rank-1 has
just gone down) it isn't going to know rank-0 is down until the MONs
do. So to get the "all stop" you are talking about the client would
then have to undo already committed IO(!), the only other option would
be "pinging" all ranks on every metadata change, and that sounds
horrible.

Maybe this is a case where you'd be better off putting NFS in front of
your CephFS?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo