Hi

On 05/21/2018 05:38 PM, Jake Grimmett wrote:
> Unfortunately we have a large number (~200) of Windows and Macs clients
> which need CIFS/SMB  access to cephfs.

we too, which is why we're (partially) exporting cephfs over samba too,
1.5y in production now.

for us, cephfs-over-samba is significantly slower than cephfs directly
too, but it's not really an issue here (basically, if people use a
windows client here, they're already on the slow track anyway).

we had to do two things to get it working reliably though:

a) disable all locking on samba (otherwise "opportunistic locking" on
windows clients killed within hours all mds (kraken at that time))

b) only allow writes to a specific space on cephfs, reserved to samba
(with luminous; otherwise, we'd have problems with data consistency on
cephfs with people writing the same files from linux->cephfs and
samba->cephfs concurrently). my hunch is that samba caches writes and
doesn't give them back appropriatly.

> Finally, is the vfs_ceph module for Samba useful? It doesn't seem to be
> widely available pre-complied for for RHEL derivatives. Can anyone
> comment on their experiences using vfs_ceph, or point me to a Centos 7.x
> repo that has it?

we use debian, with backported kernel and backported samba, which has
vfs_ceph pre-compiled. however, we couldn't make vfs_ceph work at all -
the snapshot patters just don't seem to match/align (and nothing we
tried seem to work).

Regards,
Daniel