On Thu, 24 May 2018 15:13:09 +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:

> On 05/24/2018 02:53 PM, David Disseldorp wrote:
> >> [ceph_test]
> >> path = /ceph-kernel
> >> guest ok = no
> >> delete readonly = yes
> >> oplocks = yes
> >> posix locking = no
>
> jftr, we use the following to disable all locking (on samba 4.8.2):
>
>   oplocks = False
>   level2 oplocks = False
>   kernel oplocks = no

oplocks aren't locks per se - they allow the client to cache data
locally (leases in SMB2+), often allowing for improved application
performance. That said, if the same share path is accessible via NFS or
native CephFS then oplocks / leases should be disabled, until proper
vfs_ceph lease support is implemented via the delegation API.

Cheers, David