On 07/18/2018 07:44 PM, Satish Patel wrote:
> If i have 8 OSD drives in server on P410i RAID controller (HP), If i
> want to make this server has OSD node in that case show should i
> configure RAID?
>
> 1. Put all drives in RAID-0?
> 2. Put individual HDD in RAID-0 and create 8 individual RAID-0 so OS
> can see 8 separate HDD drives
>
> What most people doing in production for Ceph (BleuStore)?

In my experience, using a RAID card is not ideal for storage systems
like Ceph.  Redundancy comes from replicating data across multiple
hosts, so there's no need for this functionality in a disk controller.
Even worse, the P410i doesn't appear to support a pass-thru (JBOD/HBA)
mode, so your only sane option for using this card is to create RAID-0s.
Whenever you need to replace a bad drive, you will need to go through
the extra step of creating a RAID-0 on the new drive.

In a production environment, I would recommend an HBA that exposes all
of the drives directly to the OS. It makes management and monitoring a
lot easier.

-Troy