So mostly I want to confirm that is is safe to change the crush rule for
the EC pool.

Changing crush rules for replicated or ec pool is safe.

One thing is, when I was migrated from multiroot to device-classes I was recreate ec pools and clone images with qemu-img for ec_overwrites feature, so I don't have experience with changing erasure-profiles.

Your old profile doesn't have root value, so this is 'default', new rule will be have 'default' too. So I don't see any disadvantages with this migration.

These are both ec42 but I'm not sure why the old rule has "max size 20"
(perhaps because it was generated a long time ago under hammer?).

Likely.