I'm now following up to my earlier message regarding data migration from old to new hardware in our ceph cluster. As part of this we wanted to move to device-class-based crush rules. For the replicated pools the directions for this were straightforward; for our EC pool, it wasn't so clear, but I proceeded via the outline below: defining a new EC profile and associated crush rule, then finally, last Wednesday (5 Sept) updating the crush rule for the pool.

Data migration started well for the first 36 or so hours, then the storage backend became very unstable with OSDs dropping out and failing to peer... capped off by the mons running out of disk space. After correcting the mon disk issue, stability seemed to be restored by dropping down max backfills and a few other parameters, eg

    osd max backfills = 4
    osd recovery max active = 1
    osd max recovery threads = 1

I also had to stop then restart all OSDs to stop the peering storm, but the data migration has been proceeding fine since then.

However I do see transfer errors fetching some files out of radosgw - the transfer just hangs then aborts. I'd guess this probably due to one pg stuck down, due to a lost (failed HDD) osd. I think there is no alternative to declare the osd lost, but I wish I understood better the implications of the "recovery_state" and "past_intervals" output by ceph pg query: https://pastebin.com/8WrYLwVt

I find it disturbing/odd that the acting set of osds lists only 3/6 available; implies that without getting one of these back it would be impossible to recover the data (from 4+2 EC). However the dead osd 98 only appears in the most recent (?) interval - presumably during the flapping period, during which time client writes were unlikely (radosgw disabled).

So if 98 were marked lost would it roll back to the prior interval? I am not certain how to interpret this information!

Running luminous 12.2.7 if it makes a difference.

Thanks as always for pointers,

Graham