We're looking to replace our existing RBD cluster, which makes and stores our
backups. Atm we've got one machine running backuppc, where the RBD is mounted
and 8 ceph nodes.

The idea is to gain in speed and/or pay less (or pay equally for moar speed).

Doubting to get SSD in the mix. Have I understood correctly that it's useful
for setting up a cache pool and / or for separating the journal? Can I use a
different server for this?

Old specs (8 machines):
CPU:      Intel Xeon D1520 4c/8t 2.2 GHz/2.6 GHz
RAM:    32 GB DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz
Disks:    5x 6 TB SAS2
Public network card:      1 x 1  Gbps

40 disks, total of 1159.92 euro

Consideration for new specs:
3 machines:
CPU:      Intel  Xeon E5-2620v3 - 6c/12t - 2.4GHz /3.2GHz
RAM:    64GB DDR4 ECC 1866 MHz
Disks:    12x 4 TB SAS2
Public network card:      1 x 1  Gbps

36 disks for a total of 990 euro

10 machines:
CPU:      Intel  Xeon D-1521 - 4c/8t - 2,4GHz /2,7GHz
RAM:    16GB DDR4 ECC 2133MHz
Disks:    4x 6TB
Public network card:      1 x 1  Gbps

40 disks for a total of 940 euro
Perhaps in combination with SSD, this last option?!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How do you make your decisions / comparisons? 1 disk per OSD I guess, but
then, how many cores per disk or stuff like that?

Thanks in advance.

Nino Bosteels