From: ceph-users <ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com> on behalf of Nino Bosteels
<n.boste...@proximedia.be>
Sent: 19 July 2018 16:01
To: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Subject: [ceph-users] [RBD]Replace block device cluster

We’re looking to replace our existing RBD cluster, which makes and stores our
backups. Atm we’ve got one machine running backuppc, where the RBD is mounted
and 8 ceph nodes.

The idea is to gain in speed and/or pay less (or pay equally for moar speed).

Doubting to get SSD in the mix. Have I understood correctly that it’s useful
for setting up a cache pool and / or for separating the journal? Can I use a
different server for this?

Old specs (8 machines):

CPU:      Intel Xeon D1520 4c/8t 2.2 GHz/2.6 GHz

RAM:    32 GB DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz

Disks:    5x 6 TB SAS2

Public network card:      1 x 1  Gbps

40 disks, total of 1159.92 euro

Consideration for new specs:

3 machines:

CPU:      Intel  Xeon E5-2620v3 - 6c/12t - 2.4GHz /3.2GHz

RAM:    64GB DDR4 ECC 1866 MHz

Disks:    12x 4 TB SAS2

Public network card:      1 x 1  Gbps

36 disks for a total of 990 euro

10 machines:

CPU:      Intel  Xeon D-1521 - 4c/8t - 2,4GHz /2,7GHz

RAM:    16GB DDR4 ECC 2133MHz

Disks:    4x 6TB

Public network card:      1 x 1  Gbps

40 disks for a total of 940 euro

Perhaps in combination with SSD, this last option?!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How do you make your decisions / comparisons? 1 disk per OSD I guess, but
then, how many cores per disk or stuff like that?

Thanks in advance.

Nino Bosteels