I tried w/ a rbd CLI from 12.2.7 and I still don't have an issue enabling
journaling on a different pool:

$ rbd info rbd/foo
rbd image 'foo':
size 1024 MB in 256 objects
order 22 (4096 kB objects)
block_name_prefix: rbd_data.101e6b8b4567
format: 2
features: layering, exclusive-lock, object-map, fast-diff, deep-flatten
flags:
create_timestamp: Tue Aug 14 08:51:19 2018
$ rbd feature enable rbd/foo journaling --journal-pool rbd_ssd
$ rbd journal info --pool rbd --image foo
rbd journal '101e6b8b4567':
header_oid: journal.101e6b8b4567
object_oid_prefix: journal_data.1.101e6b8b4567.
order: 24 (16384 kB objects)
splay_width: 4
object_pool: rbd_ssd

Can you please run "rbd image-meta list <image-spec>" to see if you are
overwriting any configuration settings? Do you have any client
configuration overrides in your "/etc/ceph/ceph.conf"?