Thanks!
I was in the process of upgrading, so "noout" was already set, probably
preventing setting "noin".
I thus just "ceph osdset noup", then "ceph osd down <ids>", which
stopped activity on the disks (probably not enough to clean everything
in Bluestore, but I decided to trust its inner working).

I now have an unbootable XFS root filesystem, some OSDs out but
probably OK owith their data, and 4× redundancy. I'll pause and think
about the next steps with no urgency ;-)

Le vendredi 21 septembre 2018 à 11:09 +0200, Patrick Nawracay a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> you'll need to set `noup` to prevent OSDs from being started
> automatically. The `noin` flags prevents that the cluster sets the
> OSD
> `in` again, after it has been set `out`.
>
>     `ceph osd set noup` before `ceph osd down <id>`
>
>     `ceph osd set noin` before `ceph osd out <id>`
>
> Those global flags (they prevent all OSDs from being automatically
> set
> up/in again), can be disabled with unset.
>
>     `ceph osd unset <noup|noin>`
>
> Please note that I'm not familiar with recovery of a Ceph cluster,
> I'm
> just trying to answer the question, but don't know if that's the best
> approach in this case.
>
> Patrick
>

> On 21.09.2018 10:49, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > One of my server crashed its root filesystem, ie. the currently
> > open
> > shell just says "command not found" for any basic command (ls, df,
> > mount, dmesg, etc.)
> > ACPI soft power-off won't work because it needs scripts on /...
> >
> > Before I reset the hardware, I'd like to cleanly stop the OSDs on
> > this
> > server (with still work because they do not need /).
> > I was able to move the MGR out of that server with "ceph mgr fail
> > [hostname]".
> > Is it possible to tell the OSD on that host to stop, from another
> > host?
> > I tried "ceph osd down [osdnumber]", but the OSD just got back "in"
> > immediately.
> >
> > Ceph 12.2.7 on Debian
> >
> > TIA,

Nicolas Huillard
Associé fondateur - Directeur Technique - Dolomède

nhuill...@dolomede.fr
Fixe : +33 9 52 31 06 10
Mobile : +33 6 50 27 69 08
http://www.dolomede.fr/