On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:41 AM Hector Martin <hec...@marcansoft.com> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with single-host Ceph use cases, where HA is not
> important but data durability is.
>
> How does a Ceph cluster react to its (sole) mon being rolled back to an
> earlier state? The idea here is that the mon storage may not be
> redundant but would be (atomically, e.g. lvm snapshot and dump) backed
> up, say, daily. If the cluster goes down and then is brought back up
> with a mon backup that is several days to hours old, while the OSDs are
> up to date, what are the potential consequences?
>
> Of course I expect maintenance operations to be affected (obviously any
> OSDs added/removed would likely get confused). But what about regular
> operation? Things like snapshots and snapshot ranges. Is this likely to
> cause data loss, or would the OSDs and clients largely not be affected
> as long as the cluster config has not changed?
>
> There's a way of rebuilding the monmap from OSD data:
>

> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-mon/#recovery-using-osds
>
> Would this be preferable to just restoring the mon from a backup?

Yes, do that, don't try and back up your monitor. If you restore a monitor
from backup then the monitor — your authoritative data source — will warp
back in time on what the OSD peering intervals look like, which snapshots
have been deleted and created, etc. It would be a huge disaster and
probably every running daemon or client would have to pause IO until the
monitor generated enough map epochs to "catch up" — and then the rest of
the cluster would start applying those changes and nothing would work right.

> What
> about the MDS map?

Unlike the OSDMap, the MDSMap doesn't really keep track of any persistent
data so it's much safer to rebuild or reset from scratch.
-Greg