On 10/11/2018 06:35, Gregory Farnum wrote:
Yes, do that, don't try and back up your monitor. If you restore a monitor from backup then the monitor — your authoritative data source — will warp back in time on what the OSD peering intervals look like, which snapshots have been deleted and created, etc. It would be a huge disaster and probably every running daemon or client would have to pause IO until the monitor generated enough map epochs to "catch up" — and then the rest of the cluster would start applying those changes and nothing would work right.

Thanks, I suspected this might be the case. Is there any reasonable safe "backwards warp" time window (that would permit asynchronous replication of mon storage to be good enough for disaster recovery), e.g. on the order of seconds? I assume synchronous replication is fine (e.g. RAID or DRBD configured correctly) since that's largely equivalent to local storage. I'll probably go with something like that for mon durability.

Unlike the OSDMap, the MDSMap doesn't really keep track of any persistent data so it's much safer to rebuild or reset from scratch.
-Greg

Good to know. I'll see if I can do some DR tests when I set this up, to prove to myself that it all works out :-)

--
Hector Martin (hec...@marcansoft.com)
Public Key: https://marcan.st/marcan.asc