On Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 18:50 Nikhil R, <nikh.ravin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
> We now have a total of 105 osd’s on 5 baremetal nodes each hosting 21
> osd’s on HDD which are 7Tb with journals on HDD too. Each journal is about
> 5GB

This would imply you've got a separate hdd partition for journals, I don't
think there's any value in that and would probabaly be detrimental to
performance.

> We expanded our cluster last week and added 1 more node with 21 HDD and
> journals on same disk.
> Our client i/o is too heavy and we are not able to backfill even 1 thread
> during peak hours - incase we backfill during peak hours osd's are crashing
> causing undersized pg's and if we have another osd crash we wont be able to
> use our cluster due to undersized and recovery pg's. During non-peak we can
> just backfill 8-10 pgs.
> Due to this our MAX AVAIL is draining out very fast.

How much ram have you got in your nodes? In my experience that's a common
reason for crashing OSDs during recovery ops

What does your recovery and backfill tuning look like?

> We are thinking of adding 2 more baremetal nodes with 21 *7tb  osd’s on
>  HDD and add 50GB SSD Journals for these.
> We aim to backfill from the 105 osd’s a bit faster and expect writes of
> backfillis coming to these osd’s faster.

Ssd journals would certainly help, just be sure it's a model that performs
well with Ceph

> Is this a good viable idea?
> Thoughts please?

I'd recommend sharing more detail e.g full spec of the nodes, Ceph version
etc.