On 7/25/19 9:19 AM, Xiaoxi Chen wrote:
> We had hit this case in production but my solution will be change
> min_size = 1 immediately so that PG back to active right after.
>
> It somewhat tradeoff reliability(durability) with availability during
> that window of 15 mins but if you are certain one out of two "failure"
> is due to recoverable issue, it worth to do so.

That's actually dangerous imho.

Because while you set min_size=1 you will be mutating data on that
single disk/OSD.

If the other two OSDs come back recovery will start. Now IF that single
disk/OSD now dies while performing the recovery you have lost data.

The PG (or PGs) becomes inactive and you either need to perform data
recovery on the failed disk or revert back to the last state.

I can't take that risk in this situation.

Wido