On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 7:47 AM Paul Emmerich <paul.emmer...@croit.io> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 12:55 AM William Ferrell <wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 6:37 PM Peter Woodman <pe...@shortbus.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > 2GB ram is gonna be really tight, probably.
> >
> > Bummer. So it won't be enough for any Ceph component to run reliably?
>
> 2 GB is tough for an OSD. The main problem is recovery. If you attempt
> this: the trick is the use fewer PGs per OSD than recommended.

Interesting. I take it that reduces the memory requirements? What are
the consequences of using fewer PGs than recommended?

On a related note, I came across this hardware while searching around
on this topic: https://ambedded.com/ambedded_com/ARM_Server_platform.html

They position these systems as easy-to-deploy Ceph systems. I'm afraid
to even ask the manufacturer how much those things cost, but I noticed
the specs of the individual nodes aren't really much different from
the HC2, especially the "Mars 200" model. In that model, each node has
a dual core CPU and only 2GB of RAM. The 400 model changes the CPU
type (but stays dual-core) and bumps the memory up to 4GB.

So would the individual nodes in those machines have the same
limitations? I guess the chassis provides an internal network fabric
so the nodes can talk to each other super fast, so maybe that makes a
difference.

BTW thanks everyone who's responded so far! You've all been really
helpful clearing up my newbie questions :)