The way I try to look at this is:

1) How much more do the enterprise grade drives cost?

2) What are the benefits? (Faster performance, longer life, etc)

3) How much does it cost to deal with downtime, diagnose issues, and replace malfunctioning hardware?

My personal take is that enterprise drives are usually worth it. There may be consumer grade drives that may be worth considering in very specific scenarios if they still have power loss protection and high write durability.  Even when I was in academia years ago with very limited budgets, we got burned with consumer grade SSDs to the point where we had to replace them all.  You have to be very careful and know exactly what you are buying.

Mark