Hi Dave,

thanks a lot for the explanation.

On Jan 6, 2014, at 16:03 , Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2014 5:56 AM, "Sebastian Moeller" <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Dave, hi List,
> >
> > On Jan 6, 2014, at 04:29 , Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Well, what I was aiming for was for us to get the sqm scripts and gui
> > > up to where they were better than the standard openwrt qos scripts and
> > > then push them up to openwrt to where they could be more widely
> > > deployed.
> > >
> > > Aside from being able to dynamically assign priorities in the gui, we
> > > are there.  Except that nfq_codel is currently getting better results
> > > than fq_codel at low bandwidths, and I'm tempted to pour all of
> > > simple.qos into C.
> >
> >         Since you wore nfq_codel, what is the secret sauce here?
>
> 1) It uses a 'tighter' version of Codel than what is currently in Linux. It
> doesn't work as well on longer rtts but holds down queue lengths at shorter
> rtts better and responds quicker than normal codel.
>
> This is a slightly more expensive version of codel too in that it uses two
> invsqrt via newtons method to get more accurate results.
>
> 2) it rotates the flow list more like how sfq does yielding better mixing
> which leads to higher survival rates for sparse flows and more balance across
> all flows.
>
> (This is a one line change to fq-codel)
>
> At higher bandwidths (say, 50mbit) being more drr like (fqcodel) actually
> tends to do better than sfqlike as bunching up some packet deliveries makes
> hosts respond quicker.
>
> 3) common to all the codels in this was elimination of the maxpacket check
> which mildly increases drop probability.
>
> Compared to the orders of magnitude we already get from fq codel the sum
> benefit of these fixes is in the very small percentage points. Without an
> extensive testing and simulation campaign I've been reluctant to attempt
> pushing them upstream. What I have mostly thought about instead was bundling
> up simple.QoS into c (call it cake or broadbandeq),
> Using these mods, adding in fixes for things that are hard now, like full
> diffserv support and something lighter than htb.
>
> But enotime, funding etc. Until 3 hit seeing benefit from nfqcodel was even
> harder to see, and I'd like to drop out 3 and revisit the data to see if the
> improvement is a chimera or not.

        In case 3) and potentially 2 are the critical parts, do you see a
chance of getting these included upstream as part of fq_codels that need
special tc options to trigger? I assume 1 to be larger and potentially harder
to sell upstream (then again since codel is intended to run knob-free, maybe
even adding 2 and 3 is controversial...).

Best Regards
        Sebastian