Dear Jonathan:

good point on “area”.

“twilight” is fine.
I’m good with your preference of [a hybrid of (1) and (2) (i.e.
area_fraction_of_night_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle,
area_fraction_of_day_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle,
area_fraction_of_twilight_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle)]

very respectfully,

randy

On Jan 10, 2014, at 6:50 AM, Jonathan Gregory <j.m.greg...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Randy
>
> Thanks for this useful summary.
>
> You favour
>
>> (3) make use of existing area_fraction names and qualify the type of
>> area_fraction with one or more coordinate variable(s) and accompany use of
>> cell_methods attribute
>>
>> pros: no need for an additional standard name, unambiguous, flexible (allows
>> for a variety of yet-to-be-defined quantities), one variable can hold all
>> three values
>> cons: modification to the definition of area_fraction required, more complex
>> than other options
>> Later comment:
>> Option (3) requires separate variables for day, night, and terminator region
>> because a variable has a single cell_methods attribute, and cell_methods is
>> used to specify the areal extent.
>
> I don't think so, actually. cell_methods would have "area: mean" in this case,
> I think, because you can consider the area_fraction to be the mean over the
> cell of a binary variable (0 or 1). I'm not sure if that's best, but it is
> definitely not "point", and "sum" isn't appropriate because it's not
> extensive.
> The bounds would belong to the coordinate variable of solar_zenith_angle.
>
> I would be content with (3) but on the whole I prefer
>
>> (4) a hybrid of (1) and (2) (i.e.
>> area_fraction_of_night_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle,
>> area_fraction_of_day_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle,
>> area_fraction_of_terminator_region_defined_by_solar_zenith_angle)
>>
>> pros: very clear
>> cons: new form of standard names containing area_fraction, 3 standard names
>> where 1 can be made to work
>
> I like this because it's very clear, as you say. It thus avoids the problem of
>
>> (1) add a type of area fraction consistent with current definition of
>> existing area_fraction (i.e.. day_area_fracton, night_area_fraction,
>> day_night_terminator_area_fraction)
>>
>> pros: clear, consistent with current use and definition of area
>> cons: 3 standard names where 1 can be made to work
>
> which doesn't point out so prominently that "day" and "night" have to be
> given precise definitions. The discussion shows that (2) causes problems
> because we can't find a form of words (so far) that everyone considers to
> convey the right notion.
>
>> (2)  add a new grammatical form of a standard_name containing area_fraction
>> i.e.. area_fraction_X_solar_zenith_angle,
>> area_fraction_for_solar_zenith_angle_within_bounds)
>>
>> A variety of options have been set forth for X, such as "of", "as a function
>> of", "with", "defined_by", "with_given"
>>
>> pros: one standard name, one variable can hold all three values
>> cons: new form of standard names containing area_fraction, options are
>> either not particularly clear or violate (to varying degrees) conventions
>> associated with existing standard names,
>
> I'd be interested to know whether you consider "twilight" to be acceptable.
> [...]

Randy C. Horne (rho...@excaliburlabs.com)
Principal Engineer, Excalibur Laboratories Inc.
voice & fax: (321) 952.5100
url: http://www.excaliburlabs.com