Dear Ethan, Balaji et al.

No-one is suggesting having different standard names for different geoids or
different reference ellipsoids, as far as I know. We agree that the identity of
the geoid etc. belongs in the grid mapping. The distinction of standard names
is for different geophysical quantities. The distinction of what is truly
different is blurred, but we have to make black-and-white choices. The one
which we make in many existing CF standard names is that if quantities refer
to different geophysically defined surfaces that makes them different geo-
physical quantities. I think that's a useful distinction for a data-analyst.
Geoid, reference ellipsoid, surface (i.e. bottom of the atmosphere), bedrock
(bottom of atmosphere, sea or ice sheet, whichever is lowest) and mean sea
level are all different geophysical concepts, aren't they. In my opinion,
primarily as a scientist analysing data, heights referring to these various
references are not the same geophysical quantity, and I expect them to have
different standard names. That is the approach we have followed in naming
quantities up to now.

I agree with Balaji to the extent that the standard name is not a complete
characterisation of a quantity. There is other CF metadata. Especially, there
are coordinates. The height of cloud can be specified by coordinates, which
avoids the needs for more standard names, is more precise and much more
flexible. I regard cloud amount on any level as the same geophysical quantity
(while acknowledging that different cloud microphysics is at work, of course)
and so I am happy for clouds at various heights to be distinguished by
coordinates. The same is the reason why we have a standard_name for
air_temperature, but we don't have one for "surface air temperature", since
the extra precision can be supplied by a coordinate of height. This is another
blurred distinction, I realise, but I think it works quite well in practice.

Cheers

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Ethan Davis <eda...@unidata.ucar.edu> -----