Dear Balaji

> I understand it's blurry, and I suppose all I'm
> arguing for is some general vigilance against proliferation of
> names.

I completely agree with that sentiment! The blurriness comes in places where
coordinates are discrete, from a permissible set, such as area_types. This was
done to avoid proliferation of standard names, and because it can be
convenient to have a dimension of area_type. I don't think there are the same
advantages in the case of height above ground vs height above geoid - there's
only a small handful of different species of height and they are not likely
to be wanted as group together in a data variable.

> (BTW when are we going to see a standard_name with "barystatic" in it?)
Good question! I hope that if it happens it's because of global mean sea level
change rather than "Star Trek" invading the CF convention.

Best wishes

Jonathan