From: CF-metadata <cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu> on behalf of Chris Barker
<chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
Sent: 21 September 2016 20:52
To: Nan Galbraith
Cc: cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu
Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] Temporal nitpicks. Was: CF-metadata Digest, Vol 161,
Issue 3

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Nan Galbraith
<ngalbra...@whoi.edu<mailto:ngalbra...@whoi.edu>> wrote:
Can we recommend the use of ISO-compatible date strings, with
the caveat that time zone should always be included?

Yes, we really should do that (though it's an offset that is specified, not a
time zone)

It's unfortunate that ISO defaults to local  time, and that seems to be
non-negotiable.

yup :-(

This is what we use in the OceanSITES implementation of CF. Obviously,
it won't solve everyone's needs,

I'm trying to see whos needs it wouldn't suit folks may well want local time,
rather than UTC, but having it be unspecified does no one any good.

and specifying times in "true" local time, with DST baked in is simply a
nightmare for everyone --- it really, really should be discouraged!

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov<mailto:chris.bar...@noaa.gov>