Dear Maarten,

the four names for methane, water vapor, carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide
result from simple application of existing CF name patterns, so I support their
adoption as you have proposed them.

> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_methane
> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_water_vapor
> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_carbon_monoxide
> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide

For semiheavy-water, there is a related discussion about variable required for
CMIP6 by PMIP:

: http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2018/059995.html

For PMIP we need names referring to multiple isotopic variants of water vapor:
H-2H-O, H2-O17, H2-O18. We have taken an approach which allows us to be precise
in the name and deal with all these variants:

e.g. precipitation_flux_containing_2H. This has not been accepted yet, but has
some support. Would you be happy to use:

atmosphere_mole_content_of_water_vapor_containing_2H

with help text which makes it clear that this means a single "2H" atom per
water molecule?

e.g. "The expression A_containing_B refers to the amount of A which contains B.
When B is an isotope, it refers to molecules of A which contain one atom of B,
unless indicated otherwise by a number following B."

sincerely,

Martin Juckes