Dear Martin,

On 06/04/18 16:02, Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC wrote:

> the four names for methane, water vapor, carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide
> result from simple application of existing CF name patterns, so I support
> their adoption as you have proposed them.
>
>> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_methane
>> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_water_vapor
>> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_carbon_monoxide
>> * atmosphere_mole_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide
>

> For semiheavy-water, there is a related discussion about variable required
> for CMIP6 by PMIP:
>
> : http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2018/059995.html
>

> For PMIP we need names referring to multiple isotopic variants of water
> vapor: H-2H-O, H2-O17, H2-O18. We have taken an approach which allows us to
> be precise in the name and deal with all these variants:
>
> e.g. precipitation_flux_containing_2H. This has not been accepted yet, but
> has some support. Would you be happy to use:
>
> atmosphere_mole_content_of_water_vapor_containing_2H
>
> with help text which makes it clear that this means a single "2H" atom per
> water molecule?
>
> e.g. "The expression A_containing_B refers to the amount of A which contains
> B. When B is an isotope, it refers to molecules of A which contain one atom
> of B, unless indicated otherwise by a number following B."

I'm happy to use anything that is clear and consistent with other names. I don't
think isotopes have been used in names before, so we're on uncharted territory.
understand the need to be more accurate than what I have, although this notation
required some getting used to. I assume that "containing_18O" is for H_2(18-O).

That modification is fine with me if the CMIP6 proposal gets through. If that
proposal gets through with modifications, then I prefer to be consistent with
those
modifications as well.

Kind regards,

Maarten