Dear Alison

> The question that Sebastien has raised is concerned specifically with how to
> state the limits on the integral_wrt_Y_of_X names and I do think we can solve
> the problem by modifying the definitions along the lines Jonathan suggests.
> Currently the definitions all say 'The phrase "integral_wrt_X_of_Y" means int
> Y dX. The data variable should have an axis for X specifying the limits of
> the integral as bounds.' We could modify this to read 'The phrase
> "integral_wrt_X_of_Y" means int Y dX. To specify the limits of the integral
> the data variable should have an axis for X and associated coordinate bounds.
> If no axis for X is associated with the data variable, or no coordinate
> bounds are specified, it is assumed that the integral is calculated over the
> entire vertical extent of the medium, e.g, if the medium is air the integral
> is assumed to be calculated over the full depth of the atmosphere.'

Yes, I think that's a good approach. Are there really as many of these names as
you say? It's only the vertical integrals we're discussing, not the integrals
wrt time.

I agree with you in not wanting to rename the "content" quantities as
vertical integrals. I advocate only merging the names of type Z_CONTENT with
CONTENT_in_Z_layer, where the distinction is solely that the former is an
integral over the entire vertical extent of Z.

Best wishes

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC
<alison.pamm...@stfc.ac.uk> -----