Hi Karl,

I tend to agree that this solution is far from ideal.

The core issue is that there is no clear separation between a parameter
(diagnostic quantities, observables, coordinates etc.) and what you do with it
in CF: everything is squeezed in the standard name and in the cell_method (in a
non-consistent way).

In an ideal world, the standard names should only describe bare parameters and
everything related to processing should go into something else. But many
standard names make reference to time, space, post-processing, extra useful
informations, etc.
The cell_method attribute is in principle there to represent any
(post-)processing but it is not always the case, sometimes the informations are
in the standard name directly or sometimes the cell_method is too limited to
describe what needs to be described. like in my case here...
To maintain a strict separation, the "integral_wrt_X_of_Y" should be one of the
cell_method from the beginning.... I also never understood why "difference" is
not a valid method in the table E.1 of appendix E since "sum" is there.

I noticed few months ago a thread discussing ontologies in connection with the
proposal of standard names for isotopes. Hundreds of new standard names were
added. To me this was all wrong: only few standard names should have been
added: mass_concentration, density, optical_depth, whatever physical property
you like. Each variable holding one of these standard name should point to a
scalar through a controlled attribute. The scalar should  name the isotope or
the type of particle or the chemical constituent, etc.
I can already see coming hundreds of new standard names each time a new useful
property for isotopes or molecules is required.

You will not prevent explosion of standard names if you don't limit them to the
"what". The "when" should go in the time variable(s), the "where" in the
spatial variables, and finally the "how" either in the cell_method with clear
controlled vocabulary or using a new controlled mechanism yet to define.

/Sébastien