HI Martin and all,

I agree that the best option is to modify the text.  In that regard, I
stumbled over the word "proportional" ... proportional to what? Also,
only udunits experts will recognize that "1" has a specific meaning when
appearing as a unit, so "conforms to 1" might be unclear.  Would
something like the following be better?

"Area Fraction" is the fraction of a grid cell's horizontal area that
has some characteristic of interest.  It is evaluated as the area of
interest divided by the grid cell area.  It may be expressed as a
fraction, a percentage, or any other dimensionless representation of a
fraction."

By the way, off hand I can't think of "other dimensionless
representations of a fraction"  Is kilo-percent (k%) legal?

regards,
Karl