http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=programmer
Programmer: one who writes a computer program

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=developer
  Developer: A person who develops real estate, especially by preparing a
site for residential or commercial use.

  Of course if we want to look at developer at a less specific level, it is
"one that develops."  So, we might say that a programmer is a specialized
version of a developer that concentrates on writing computer
programs.  Therefore, we could argue that a developer of software is no
different than a programmer.

  I personally use the two terms interchangeably.

  I consider a designer (on the other hand) different than a programmer.  A
programmer makes things work and concentrates on functionality.  A designer
concentrates on layout and look and feel and makes things pretty.  I think
that to be a good web developer, you need to have some ability as both a
programmer or a designer.  ( My designer skills suck).