That was my thought, if they get in an extra layer will only delay them not stop them.
 The thing is this is extremely private data that if it were to get out would cause
the hospital a great deal of problems it you get my drift!.  Right now the 1st project
is still in test and using Win/IIS but I'd like to get it to redhat/apache.  I am a
strong believer that we should be more worried about tightening the code and webserver
than worring about adding that extra layer.  Also we have made the datasource account
read only access.  I think your concept is something we should gear towards as more
and more applications are added into the mix.

I was thinking about make the calls as a webservice?  I will have to look into how
security plays into that.

Thanks again.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/18/02 09:14PM >>>
I think that the 3 Tier issue is really one of performance, not security.,
If you can compromise the 1st tier, you can compromise the second, and then
the third.  Anywhere there is a hole in the firewall there is an opportunity
to break in.  Tiers just add layers and make it more complicated.  However,
on the performance side application servers can help with the load.  It is
easy to conceive of an application where for example, I would want 2 web
servers (tier 1), 5 application servers and 1 database server.  This lets me
scale my app servers separately from my web servers which can make a
difference in licensing cost.

Justin